Firewords is the magazine of fiery fiction & poetry brought to life with visual flair.
I started this project as I was frustrated by literary magazines that concentrated on substance over style, or vice versa. Firewords aims to have an abundance of both; powerful writing and striking visuals.
I launched the project in May 2014 with the help of a successful Kickstarter crowd-funding campaign, which raised 140% of its initial funding target.
My role as editor-in-chief involves project managing the rest of the team, co-hosting the podcast, designing the publication and acting as art director for the many guest illustrators, artists, photographers, designers and hand-letterers we collaborate with on each issue.
The project’s achievements...
– Creating 8 x issues with a steadily growing readership.
– Stocked worldwide. Firewords is currently stocked in 6 countries around the world and has a growing list of independent stockists throughout the UK.
– Publishing 179 new writers, showcasing their amazing short fiction and poetry to thousands of eager readers.
– Collaborating with 90 illustrators, photographers, designers, hand-letterers and artists.
– Receiving over 4000 submissions to date from 60+ countries, and consistently giving constructive feedback to every single writer.